I’m planning to use some of our homegrown tomatoes in a recipe tonight and I want to take the skins off the easy way. Here’s how to do it:
1. Wash the tomatoes and place them on a cutting board.
2. Slice the tomatoes in half and place them cut side down on a shallow microwave dish.
3. Place the dish with tomatoes into the microwave and microwave for up to five minutes. Check the tomatoes several times during cooking to check the progress. The tomatoes are finished cooking when their skins begin to shrivel up around the edges of the cut tomatoes.
4. Remove the dish from the microwave when the tomatoes are finished cooking and place it on the counter.
5. Use a fork to gently lift the tomato skins around the edges of the tomatoes. The skins should simply lift right off when you loosen them with the fork.
6. Discard the skins and use the tomatoes in your recipe.
Source: How to Peel a Tomato Using a Microwave | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4882699_peel-tomato-using-microwave.html
Update: I tried this last night and would only add: At Step #2, remove any green/hard parts from the tomatoes. Since the microwave process cooks the tomatoes, it can be awkward to remove the hard parts after they are microwaved.