Chelsea Community Kitchen is seeking an Assistant Teacher for their summer Kids Cooking programs in the Chelsea, MI area. Chelsea Community Kitchen (CCK) is a non-profit focused on a vision of a community where enthusiasm for local food helps people, the environment, and the economy thrive. Programs in the Western Washtenaw area focus on educating consumers about eating local and healthy, providing access to education and counseling support for people who want to start or grow a food-based business, and connecting food entrepreneurs, educators, and local food enthusiasts with kitchens they can rent. We offer Kids Cooking programming to grades 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9 in different formats.
Position Summary: Assistant Teacher will work with Lead Teacher to plan and implement the daily activities for two program formats: Summer Cooking Camp for grades 1-3 and grades 4-6 and Summer Chef’s Club for grades 7-9. This is a contractual, one-month position of up to 80 hours to begin July 1, 2016 (most hours required July 18-27). Position may be filled by more than one person. View our website (www.chelseacommunitykitchen.org) for details about the program dates and times.
How to Apply: Submit cover letter and resume (including references) by May 1, 2016, to chelseacommunitykitchen @gmail.com or mail to Chelsea Community Kitchen, P.O. Box 534, Chelsea, MI 48118.
Location: Chelsea, MI
Salary: $10-20 per hour, depending on experience
Benefits: none, contract position
Employment Type: Varies by week
Description: Assistant Teacher
Reports to: Board of Directors
• Consult with lead teacher for orientation
• Aid in obtaining and preparing materials and equipment prior to classes
• Be on-site day of classes at least 1 hour before the start and stay up to 1 hour after end to assist with daily set-up and clean-up
• Plan and coordinate daily activities, under guidance of lead teacher
• Work directly with lead teacher, community partners, and volunteers to achieve goals
• Guide and assist children through hands-on cooking process, as needed
• Teach a portion of each day’s lessons to small groups of children
Qualifications and Skills Needed:
• Successful completion of third year of Bachelors degree from accredited college or university in culinary arts, nutrition, elementary education, home economics, or similar field OR demonstrated experience equivalent to this level of education.
• Experience in teaching cooking highly desirable
• Experience working with children of a variety of ages highly desirable
• Solid verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to demonstrate steps in a process to a variety of age levels
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and a proven record of working collaboratively with others